We are pleased to announce several scholarship opportunities for students enrolled in Summer Session classes at BML. In past years, we’ve offered as many as 15 scholarships per Summer Session, for between $1000-3000 each.
The BML Ambassador Scholarships are supported by the Joseph Heitz Endowment, the Eva Mulder Endowment, and funds received through the generous contributions of John and Mary Louise Riley. We thank the exceptional donors to these endowments for providing this prestigious opportunity for young scientists in marine science. The program is open to UCD and non-UC Davis students.
- BML Ambassador Scholarships provide funding to defray the costs of students interested in Summer courses at BML. Scholarships can be used either to reduce the costs of housing at BML, or registration fees.
- Students who receive this award will be expected to serve as BML Ambassadors for the following year, assisting with promoting BML courses to encourage a diverse, academically excellent cohort of students to participate.
The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CA&ES) Dean’s Circle Scholarships are generously supported by CA&ES.
- CA&ES Dean’s Circle Scholarships support expenses associated with enrolling in the summer courses located at BML this summer. Scholarships of up to $3000 will be awarded to 10 students per year, to be used to defray the cost of housing at BML.
- Students must be enrolled in a major in the UC Davis College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences; all CA&ES majors are eligible. Students will not receive funds directly, but for students receiving the Scholarship, a funds transfer will be made directly to pay the BML housing fees.
The Pitzer Family Foundation Scholarships provide support for undergraduates who take courses at BML.
- Pitzer Scholarships of $3000 support up to 10 undergraduates each summer. The Scholarships provide funding to defray the costs of students interested in Summer courses at BML. Scholarships can be used either to reduce the costs of housing at BML or registration fees.
The Todd C. Smith Undergraduate Student Award provides support to two undergraduate students each year to take courses at BML.
- Todd C. Smith Undergraduate Student Award provides funding to defray the costs of students interested in courses at BML. Scholarships can be used either to reduce the costs of housing at BML, or to pay registration fees
- Todd C. Smith Undergraduate Student Award supports students interested in marine ecology. Students who plan to be enrolled in Experimental Invertebrate Biology and Coastal Marine Research (BIS 124 + EVE 114) or Marine and Coastal Field Ecology (ESP 124) will be considered for this scholarship.
BML Ambassador Scholarships, CA&ES Dean’s Circle Scholarships, Pitzer Family Foundation Scholarships, and Todd C. Smith Undergraduate Student Awards are competitively awarded to excellent students who are in financial need to support their studies at BML. Summer session 2 students must enroll in as least 6 units to qualify. All undergraduate students – national, international, undocumented, AB540 – are eligible to apply for scholarships.
To apply for these scholarships, students must provide a statement as part of their course application that addresses the following criteria:
- Financial need, and how enrolling in BML courses may be difficult due to financial circumstances,
- Contributions to diversity and inclusion in sciences (including, but not limited to: being a member of an underrepresented group in sciences, and/or a first generation college student, and/or participating in efforts to improve diversity in science),
- Academic excellence, and
- The role and importance of BML courses in pursuing their degree programs and career trajectory.
Summer session 2 students must enroll in as least 6 units to qualify. Applicants do not need to specify which scholarship(s) they are applying for; students will be considered for all scholarships that they qualify for. Scholarship applications will be reviewed by a committee of faculty; students receiving awards will be notified prior to the course registration deadline. Please note that students who receive a scholarship will not receive funds directly; funds will be used to pay for BML housing or UCD tuition.